If you are as tired as I am about having to make every single piece of branding in 12 different sizes and shapes… then hopefully this post will alleviate just a little frustration for you.
As of February 10, 2015 – here are the sizes for all the social media PROFILE images that I can think of: (this does not address sharing sizes. That’s a whole other kettle of fish.)
YouTube & Google+:
Cover Photo (G+):
Google recommends 1080 x 608 with the smallest acceptable size being 480 x 270.
Profile Photo (G+):
Again, they recommend no smaller than 250 x 250
Channel Icon (YT):
- has to look good in a 98x98px square (with rounded corners…..)
- They suggest you need a 800x800px image. That’s kind of overkill.
- If it looks great at 800, it may look like crap at 98…
- 400×400 will be a better frame of reference.
Channel Art (YT):
This is a fun one! You are told it needs to be 2560 X 1440px – that’s GIANT. That’s so it will look half decent on a TV.
On your desktop, however, it will only show 2560 X 423 px of that image. From the middle. And only 1546px of that 2560 is actually considered SAFE… again, in the middle.
And those are the native sizes… those get scaled down based on the device… so when you’re exporting, look at it in DIFFERENT SIZES to make sure it still looks good at Android Phone size (that will be the 1546 x 423 CHUNK of your 2560 x 1440 full image, scaled down to about 400px wide…
See what I’m getting at? Google is not winning any awards from the average graphic designer for this one.
Don’t know what that is? It’s a nifty thing you can add to your videos in one fell swoop and shows up in the top right corner of ALL your videos. it’s about 98×98, and should be ONE COLOUR for best results.
Ok, i’m not going to rewrite things here. Jon Loomer has the definitive guide on Facebook sizes for EVERYTHING. He is where I look… so you might as well, too!
This is an easy one. Your new twitter profile cover should be 1500 x 500… with a good 100px of unsafe space at the bottom, and 50px or so at the top.
Your profile photo should be 400 x 400.
Your profile pic should be a MINIMUM of 161 x 161, but anything up to 612 x 612 is good… just keep it square!
One of few social media sites that just TELLS you everything… so direct from them:
- Photo post: 540 by 810 pixels for dashboard view. Use 1280 by 1920 pixels for high-res version (except for superwide panoramas).
- Photoset: 540-pixel width for one image in a photoset row. 268-pixel width for two images in a photoset row. 177-pixel width for three images in a photoset row. Gutters are 4 pixels.
- Audio Post: 169 by 169 pixels for album art.
- Link Post: 130 by 130 pixels for the thumbnail image grabbed by Tumblr from web link (if available).
- Text Post: As of July 2014, inline images appear as 500 by 750 pixels for dashboard view.
- Avatar: 64-by-64-pixel icon next to posts.
Profile image: 165 x 165. The rest is arbitrary and will scale but Pinterest recommends a 3:2 Aspect Ratio for your pins will get more juice. 3:2 is your typical 4×6 printed photo (or postcard) ratio.